YOUR DESIGN GUIDE: UPHOLSTERY SELECTION GUIDE
by Cheryl Miles Bassett, Designer/Owner
"Any space where you live or work, should make you happy and content. Be delighted about your space, and enjoy it for many years to come!"
Check out the details . . .
1. Selecting Your Upholstery . . .
- Upholstered furniture is a major component in our décor. All spaces require comfortable and useful seating options. When selecting a sofa, chair, or any upholstered piece, comfort and construction are essential.
- Always try out piece you are considering before purchase. Our bodies are all built differently, and require certain frames and styles to fit our body type. Consider these options in your selection:
2. Construction is Key . . .
- Sit, lean back, or lie down. Check it out. Is it comfortable? Do your feet touch the floor? Is the seat deep enough? Whether you prefer a taller back or a shorter seat, softer or firmer cushion options, you can decide.
- Compare dimensions, height, or depth of the seat, back cushions, as well as arm height. Comfort rules here, just as with your mattress. If all these work for you, it’s a good option.
- Price can also determine components such as solid wood, or compressed fiberboard, and definitely making a difference in stability and long term use.
3. Fabric & Durability . . .
- Fabric durability is key to long term use, especially for constant use. Furnishings for a family room that's used nightly need sturdier fabrics or leather.
- Heavy woven fabrics wear extremely well. Some manufacturers offer chemical fabric protection, which may or may not be reliable.
- Save the more delicate fabrics, tapestries, etc., for your Formal Living Area, Home Office, or Master Bedroom Suite.
4. Quality & Pricing . . .
- Price usually determines quality as well. If you want your sofa to last for a long period of time, invest in a well made piece with 8-way hand tied coil springs, and a solid wood frame.
- On the other hand, for a few years use, a lesser quality of wood components, and less supportive zig zag springs is sufficient. Don't be convinced to accept less, but do your research to get what you really need.
5. Style . . .
- Consider styles to complement your decor. That overstuffed piece may be ultra comfy, but not the most stylish.
- However, there are other options that are just as comfortable. Just do your homework to make your determination.
- Keep in mind that a sofa full of pillows is usually has a deeper seat allowance. These are beautiful at first glance, but our natural inclination when sitting, is to toss all those pillows out of our way.
- However, if you do, you're sitting on a twin size bed with a back that's miles away. This a great option for a decorative look, or a great piece for those who like to curl up instead, it's perfect!
Use our Design Guide, and all these tips to enhance your decor'. Or, if you are completely baffled, we will be delighted to create your exclusive space. Click here to:
Request a Consultation today to begin your Vision!
Sign up today for our brand new newsletter - My Design Voice & receive a copy of our new e-book: My Upholstery Selection Guide:
Click your Room!
Kids Design Guide
Not Sure About Your Space?
Not sure what to do! I'm here to help. Ask Cheryl . . .
Have design questions Follow our DESIGN FORUM -
HAVE QUESTIONS? FOLLOW OUR DESIGN FORUM -
Subscribe to "My Design Voice"
Our Design Newsletter!
Like our Site! Leave Your Facebook Comments!
Leave me a comment in the box below.