Choosing your Upholstery . . .
YOUR DESIGN GUIDE: UPHOLSTERY SELECTION GUIDE
Hi! I'm Cheryl, I create exclusive spaces for your home or small business in the DFW area or anywhere through Online Design Services. With over twenty years of experience we provide the unique decor of your dreams.
Check out the details . . .
1. Selecting Your Upholstery . . .
- Upholstered furniture is a major component in our décor. All spaces require comfortable and useful seating options. When selecting a sofa, chair, or any upholstered piece, comfort and construction are essential.
- Always try out piece you are considering before purchase. Our bodies are all built differently, and require certain frames and styles to fit our body type. Consider these options in your selection:
2. Construction is Key . . .
- Sit, lean back, or lie down. Check it out. Is it comfortable? Do your feet touch the floor? Is the seat deep enough? Whether you prefer a taller back or a shorter seat, softer or firmer cushion options, you can decide.
- Compare dimensions, height, or depth of the seat, back cushions, as well as arm height. Comfort rules here, just as with your mattress. If all these work for you, it’s a good option.
- Price can also determine components such as solid wood, or compressed fiberboard, and definitely making a difference in stability and long term use.
3. Fabric & Durability . . .
- Fabric durability is key to long term use, especially for constant use. Furnishings for a family room that's used nightly need sturdier fabrics or leather.
- Heavy woven fabrics wear extremely well. Some manufacturers offer chemical fabric protection, which may or may not be reliable.
- Save the more delicate fabrics, tapestries, etc., for your Formal Living Area, Home Office, or Master Bedroom Suite.
4. Quality & Pricing . . .
- Price usually determines quality as well. If you want your sofa to last for a long period of time, invest in a well made piece with 8-way hand tied coil springs, and a solid wood frame.
- On the other hand, for a few years use, a lesser quality of wood components, and less supportive zig zag springs is sufficient. Don't be convinced to accept less, but do your research to get what you really need.
5. Style . . .
- Consider styles to complement your decor. That overstuffed piece may be ultra comfy, but not the most stylish.
- However, there are other options that are just as comfortable. Just do your homework to make your determination.
- Keep in mind that a sofa full of pillows is usually has a deeper seat allowance. These are beautiful at first glance, but our natural inclination when sitting, is to toss all those pillows out of our way.
- However, if you do, you're sitting on a twin size bed with a back that's miles away. This a great option for a decorative look, or a great piece for those who like to curl up instead, it's perfect!
Oct 11, 19 11:23 AM
I'm trying to change some of the colors in my home Ive added this peacock blue blue into my room. What color should I paint my living room walls ?
Sep 29, 19 06:55 PM
Use our online design services by A Design Exclusive Interiors from other locations to begin your exclusive decor.
Aug 15, 19 10:06 PM
A Design Exclusive Interiors, with over twenty years experience in developing exceptional and functional spaces. Our dedication is to give you the quality of service you deserve . . .
Have design questions Follow our DESIGN FORUM -
Not Sure About Your Space?
Not sure what to do! I'm here to help. Ask Cheryl . . .
NOT SURE YOU'RE READY TO BEGIN?
HAVE QUESTIONS? FOLLOW OUR DESIGN FORUM -
Subscribe to "Your Design Guide"